Thursday 11 February 2010

Half a year gone...

So here it is - the half way point of what is turning out to be yet another breath-taking rollercoaster of a year in life at Badock's Wood. I cannot believe it is now 6 months since I first greated people on that first, fine, fresh September morning. However, it is, and much has happened. The pace of change and progress of the school as a whole has been decent; in the next six months, it must become lightspeed-like.

What have I learned this week? I have had a very mixed week personally, and therefore my learning list is more surreal than ever, which, let's be honest, is pretty surreal even by my standards. I have learned:

  1. That boys the world over love a blocked loo, for reasons I cannot fathom.
  2. That the attendance of the children (and some of the adults) is worse than I feared.
  3. That Mr Scaiff's passport photo is....interesting.
  4. Still, regardless of how hard we try, children cannot respect the thousands of pounds worth of books that we bought.
  5. That when gathering to pay respects, the utter dignity of silence can warm even the coldest building.
  6. That I will have no choice but to be far tougher with some children (and some adults) if I am to maintain the standards for which I strive.
  7. That old colleagues are old friends.
  8. England will probably score more than I predicted in the whole tournament. A little more, anyway.
  9. That some of our children persist in being mean to others, even when they use the internet.

Have a good half term everyone, and rest, because the second half of the year will be a challenge, especially for those who cannot handle one.

RI very well deserved P mate. All the best x